Cupping therapy is a traditional Chinese medicine practice that has been around for thousands of years and has many benefits! It became more popular after several high-profile athletes promoted it during the Olympics, as it aided their recovery after intense periods of training/performing.
The basic idea behind cupping, is that it allows blood to flow to a specific area to help it to heal. Cupping focuses on the surface of the skin and can be done dry or wet. It is best compared to having a very deep tissue massage.
Traditionally glass cups would have been used, but most practitioners today use plastic cups that are placed on the skin and create a sucking action causing blood to flow directly to the area being treated.
Dr. Josh Axe (draxe.com) summarizes the top 5 benefits of cupping to the following:
1. Helps reduce pain and muscle spasms
2. Promotes relaxation especially in shoulder tension
3. Boosts skin health in an area that doesn’t get enough blood flow
4. Supports respiratory issues and colds, by helping move stagnation from lungs (mucus, phlegm)
5. Relieves digestive trouble, similar to respiratory stagnation our digestive system can become stagnant, cupping helps to move everything around the stomach, small intestine and colon.
Our Registered Massage therapist, Rachel, is licenced to provide cupping therapy to her patients and we encourage you to ask her for more information to determine if cupping is right for you!
Cupping is not recommended for women during pregnancy, and as with every therapy, you should discus it with your primary care physician before committing to a course of treatment.